Job Title: Digital Design & Content Manager
Director of Marketing
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and work samples to:
Central Square Theater,
450 Massachusetts Avenue,
Cambridge, MA 02139
Central Square Theater is committed to diversity at all levels: on our stage, in our audience, on our staff, and within our leadership. CST is the oldest female-led professional theater company in New England. We strongly encourage people of color and LGBTQA+ candidates.
Central Square Theater (CST), seeks a dynamic, multi-talented individual to contribute to our fast-paced marketing work through the creation, coordination, and distribution of digital content (video, audio, photography), of selected print projects and other marketing programs in order to meet organizational objectives and sales goals set for the theater’s marketing department. These efforts are directly related to the season of theatrical performances Central Square Theater produces every year, as well as education programs and other auxiliary efforts.
This staff member works directly with the Director of Marketing to develop and execute effective promotional partnerships to maximize audience growth, build stronger organizational relationships with audiences, and reach revenue goals.
This position is full-time and requires occasional attendance at special events in the evenings and on weekends. This position is hybrid–allowing for the ideal candidate to work both from home and the office to minimize commuting time and allow for a comfortable and productive work schedule.
Duties & Responsibilities
There are several skill sets this position uses to contribute the CST’s marketing including:
Digital Content Creation
This position is the lead creator and manager of digital content for Central Square Theater’s marketing channels. Content include but are not limited to:
- Video Content, including, interviews, promotional videos, and archival recordings.
- Online Banner Ads (based on individual production graphics)
- Social Media Content Calendar Management and content creation adhering to the standards for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Vimeo.
- Creation of A Social Media Marketing Guide for each production.
- Management and Updating of CST’s website on the WordPress CMS.
- Photograph special events including, but not limited to Galas and pre-and post performance production related events – our signature program Central Conversations.
This position manages the company’s social media channels.
Graphic Design & Print Content Creation
This position also creates graphical concepts for each production in the season in collaboration with the Director of Marketing. These materials are used in various print collateral including:
- Production Program Books; the position is also responsible for collecting the content for these programs and laying them out.
- Production postcards, print advertisements, and posters
- Collateral and temporary signage for Central Conversations, Galas, and other events.
Event & Meeting Responsibilities
This position is expected to attend events and meetings as a representative of the company. Frequently, these events include live coverage via photos and text on Social Media platforms. Sometimes they occur outside standard work hours. Types of events include, but are not limited to:
- Press Openings where they will assist the Director of Marketing in distribution of press packets and tickets.
- Opening Night Parties and Galas where they will take photographs of attendees.
- Theater Arts Marketing Alliance (TAMA) and Boston Arts Marketing Alliance (BAMA) meetings as a representative of the company.
- Street Fairs and other events where materials may be distributed about the company.
Supervision & Collaboration
This position, along with the Director of Marketing supervises Marketing Interns. They should also be comfortable with interdepartmental collaboration and working together towards common organizational goals.
A successful candidate for this position will be someone who embraces challenges, finds solutions, sets high expectations and discipline for their own performance, focuses on successful outcomes, and promotes teamwork. More specifically, they should possess the following qualities:
- Advanced experience in both functionality and efficient workflows in Adobe Creative Suite programs (specifically PremierePro, Photoshop, InDesign, and After Effects).
- Experience with Microsoft Office and G-Suite (Google) Programs (especially Word and Excel and Google Drive);
- Ability to use contemporary cameras and equipment for both photo and video; strong understanding of lighting and sound in video.
- Knowledge of OvationTix or other ticketing software experience preferred, but not necessary;
- Knowledge of WordPress CMS web publishing platform or experience with an equivalent preferred;
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment with a positive attitude;
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills required;
- Creativity and resourcefulness required;
- Strong interpersonal skills to collaborate with staff across departments.
Successful candidates should have 2+ years working in marketing with experience in digital content creation, graphic design, or other related areas. Arts marketing experience preferable but not required. Central Square Theater offers health benefits, generous vacation allowance, flexible scheduling. While CST understands that the salary range below may not allow for the ideal candidate to live in Cambridge or Boston, we see this position as HYBRID, allowing for work time both from home and the office to minimize commuting time and allow for a comfortable and productive work schedule.
Salary range: $38,000 to 40,000 per year.
About Central Square Theater
Central Square Theater is dedicated to the exploration of social justice, science, and feminine perspective through theater. Through award-winning productions, the Catalyst Collaborative@ MIT Science Theater Initiative, and youth development programming – CST creates theater where points of view are heard, perspective shifts, and change can happen.
Created collaboratively 17 years ago by Underground Railway and The Nora Theaters, Central Square Theater is the oldest female-led theater organization in the Greater Boston area, under the leadership of Executive Director Catherine Carr Kelly, Co-Artistic Director Lee Mikeska Gardner, and Director of Education and Community Initiatives Kortney Adams. With a combined history of 50 years of work, CST engages over 35,000 people annually through live performance, rigorous youth education, and community programs. CST is currently undergoing a leadership transition to include a new Co-Artistic Director.
Central Square Theater Values
Bold Stories and Conversations
We embrace the power of theater to illuminate the full spectrum of human experience. We boldly tell stories that connect us, inspire joy, and give us the courage to build a better world.
Vital and Relevant
Our productions and programs are in service to and in partnership with our community–our artists, staff, youth, patrons, donors, neighbors, and partner organizations. We create art that reflects the important issues of our time, encourages shifting perspectives, and educates and empowers community members to embrace change.
Anti-Racist and Inclusive
We commit to being anti-racist and inclusive, and to dismantling barriers related to (but not limited to) ethnicity, nationality, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, and socioeconomic status. We understand that perfection is not possible and we will make mistakes. We are dedicated to continuous learning and improvement.
We actively build an environment of trust and transparency. We are clear about our values, and take responsibility for living them. We invite our community members to join in holding us accountable.