Late 1800s, Harvard College Observatory. “Computers” – women employed for half a man’s salary to analyze astronomic data — show us that the universe is larger than we ever dreamed. The thrilling story of five women who changed the way astronomers saw the universe – from scientist to scientist and generation to generation. The Women Who Mapped the Stars, a world premiere by Joyce Van Dyke, is the untold story of brave women in science who paved the way for previously impossible advances in astronomy.
The Women Who Mapped the Stars is part of The Brit d’Arbeloff Women in Science Production Series.
A Catalyst Collaborative@MIT Production.
- Joyce Van Dyke playwright
- Jessica Ernst director
- Amanda Collins Cecilia Payne
- Becca A. Lewis Williamina Fleming
- Sarah Oakes Muirhead Henrietta Swan Leavitt
- Sarah Newhouse Annie Jump Cannon
- Christine Power Antonia Maury