Yasmeen, a Muslim-American teenager in the Bronx, meets with her teacher Dr. Royston, a mysterious scientist forced to teach high school biology. If she salvages her perfect score, she can claim her independence: pursue her passion for science while honoring her cultural traditions. An unlikely, inspired partnership is created, investigating adolescent romantic love. Clashes arise out of their conflicts over religion, science, and mentorship as both teacher’s and student’s lives are transformed forever.
A Catalyst Collaborative@MIT Production
Paradise was recognized by StageSource’s “Standing O” for promoting gender parity in theater. Click here to learn more and find other shows that celebrate gender parity.
- Laura Maria Censabella playwright
- Shana Gozansky director
- Caitlin Nasema Cassidy Yasmeen
- Barlow Adamson Dr Royston
- Jenna McFarland Lord Scenic Designer
- Karen Perlow Lighting Designer
- Adele Nadine Traub Stage Manager
- Gail Astrid Buckley Costume Designer
- Lisa Guild Properties Designer
- Nathan Leigh Sound Design
Building A Bridge: Love and Learning on the Way to Paradise
Learn more about Laura Maria Censabella‘s process and research in writing Paradise.
A Letter from Shana Gozansky, Director of Paradise
Learn why Shana views Paradise as a “haven”.
An Interview with Caitlin Cassidy, Yasmeen in Paradise
Learn more about Caitlin‘s connection to the play, preparation for the part and love of Lebanese food!