In the beloved comic Chinese novel a monk travels from China to India in search of spiritual enlightenment and Buddhist scriptures. Mary Zimmerman’s (Candide, Metamorphosis) adaptation delivers whimsy, delight, and a combination of comedy, adventure, and satire mixed with a mystical dreamscape filled with lyrical beauty. For everyone who enjoyed our holiday staple, Arabian Nights, Journey to the West promises to be a comic adventure for all ages celebrating the vitality of human perseverance.
Journey to the West is not part of any subscription package but may be purchased at a special Subscriber add-on rate before single tickets go on sale.
The Margret and H. A. Rey Curious George Family Production.
Patty Chen’s Dumpling Room Pop-Up will be selling hot & tasty dumplings in the lobby during the intermission of the 7pm show on Thursday, December 29, and the 2pm and 7pm shows on Friday, December 30.
- Mary Zimmerman adaptation
- Anthony C. Yu translation
- Lee Mikeska Gardner* director
- Shanae Burch Pig, and others
- Jordan Clark Guanyin
- Thomas Derrah Jade Emperor
- Jesse Garlick Tripitaka, and others
- Harsh J. Gagoomal Sha Monk, and others
- Lynn R. Guerra Monkey King
- Lisa Joyce Princess Sravasti, and others
- Trevor Liu King, and others
- Will Madden Dragon King, and others
- Sophorl Ngin* Buddha, Green Orchid, and others
- Lisa Nguyen Peach Girl, and other
- Arianna Reith Moksa
- David Fichter Scenic Designer & Painter
- Leslie Held Costume Designer
- John R. Malinowski Lighting Designer
- Judith Chaffee Choreographer
- Andrew Moss Fight Director
- Joseph Stallone Dramaturg
- Jiawei Cheng Assistant Dramaturg
- Adele Nadine Traub Production Stage Manager
- Debra Wise* Creative Coordinator
- Ryan Meyer Composition, Percussionist & Music Collaborator
- Elizabeth Rocha Properties Coordinator
- Kira Patterson Assistant Director
- Nancy Ishihara Assistant to the Costume Designer